Expert Legal Assistance from Truck Accident Attorneys in Rockford
Unfortunately, truck accidents are an all-too-common occurrence in Illinois. Given the fact that weighing 80,000 pounds, a loaded tractor-trailer is about 20 times heavier than the average automobile, and when you factor in the speed at which these large trucks are often traveling, the effects of a crash can be devastating.
Gathering Crucial Evidence After a Truck Accident
If you have been injured in an accident involving a heavy truck, it’s essential to secure the services of an attorney who can work with various accident experts in unraveling the complexities that often accompany trucking accidents.
Many government regulations affect truck drivers and trucking companies, and in establishing blame for an accident, it’s essential to know if any of these were violated.
The following are examples of the kinds of things that need to be thoroughly investigated following a trucking accident.
- Driver’s hours of service: The hours-of-service rules limit the time a driver can operate without taking a break. Consequently, the log books kept by drivers are often crucial pieces of evidence, but unfortunately, these can be falsified. Therefore, it’s essential to know how to collect other potentially vital pieces of evidence such as cell phone records, receipts for fuel, and toll receipts, to name only a few.
- Evidence from data recorders: Many 18-wheeler rigs are equipped with data recorders, similar to the black boxes found in commercial aircraft. The data retrieved from one of these devices could be crucial in determining the cause of a wreck.
- Condition of the truck: The physical condition of the truck, along with its maintenance records, could provide clues about the possible cause of a crash.
Because of the very real possibility that much of this information might disappear, either by mistake or intent, it’s crucial to hire a truck accident attorney with the experience and know-how to begin collecting this essential information and evidence before it’s lost.
Liability and Controversy After a Trucking Accident
Many different parties, besides the injured persons, can be involved in the controversy surrounding a trucking accident. Those affected could include:
- The driver of the truck.
- The company that employs the driver.
- The manufacturer of the truck.
- Those responsible for the maintenance of the truck.
- Potentially, the shipper that owns the cargo in the truck.
Rest assured, given the potential financial stakes involved, each of these individuals and entities will have lawyers fighting for them and trying to absolve them of any blame for the accident.
Faced with that situation, you need an experienced attorney by your side to fight on your behalf and help you secure the compensation for damages and losses to which you are entitled.
Things to Do After a Trucking Accident
As highly experienced trucking accident attorneys, we strongly recommend that anyone injured in a trucking accident should do the following.
- Get medical help as soon as possible. After your initial care, be sure to get follow-up treatment from any specialists you may need to see if you’ve suffered a severe injury.
- Keep complete records. Make sure you have a copy of the police accident report, pictures of the accident scene if possible, medical records and medical bills, repair bills, and any letters you may have received from insurance companies. It’s extremely important to keep track of the total amount of property damage to your vehicle, as well as the medical expenses incurred as a result of the accident. You should also keep records of any lost wages if you have to take time off from work to recover from your accident.
- Say as little as possible about the accident. This advice is especially important if you’re contacted by the other party’s insurance company. Unfortunately, anything you might say to their insurer may be used to minimize the injuries and damages you’ve suffered or perhaps even deny your claim for compensation. Let your attorneys do the talking for you.
- Contact a trucking accident attorney. The insurer of the other party or parties involved in the accident may try to convince you that all issues can be resolved without legal representation, but you should ignore those assurances. Multiple studies have shown that accident victims represented by an attorney generally receive higher compensation than individuals who try to resolve their accident-related issues without legal representation.
Experienced Rockford Truck Accident Attorneys
At the law firm of Crosby & Crosby, we investigate and litigate accidents involving all kinds of truck accidents, everything from 18-wheelers to delivery vans and everything in between. We represent both the victims of truck accidents and the families of those who have lost a loved one in a trucking accident, and here are some of the ways the personal injury lawyers at our law firm can assist you in a trucking accident case.
- Adequate compensation: You want to be adequately compensated for any damages and injuries you may have suffered. Of course, you can seek compensation on your own, but the task is much easier if you have an experienced lawyer at your side who is familiar with all the filing requirements and intricacies of the state’s legal system.
- Evidence collection: You need as much evidence as possible to back your claim for compensation. At Crosby & Crosby, we have the experience and knowledge to look for evidence to support your claim of negligence against the other party. We can work with you in gathering valuable evidence including, among others, eyewitness accounts, photos, and videos of the accident. This kind of evidence can be extremely important in substantiating your claim for compensation for the damages and injuries you’ve suffered.
- Representation in court: If an out-of-court settlement is not possible, and your case goes to court, the experienced truck accident lawyers at Crosby & Crosby can organize and present the evidence needed to support your claim for compensation and prepare you for any testimony you may be required to give during the court proceedings.
If you’ve been involved in a truck-related accident, our truck accident attorneys in Rockford want to assist you in every way we possibly can.
We urge you not to hesitate. Please contact the law firm of Crosby & Crosby today to schedule a free consultation, and let our expert attorneys help you with your truck accident case and secure the compensation to which you are entitled.